Welcome to the fifth edition of the Rundown Report. Missed last week’s report? Don’t worry; you can catch up on all of the news and articles from last week via our blog. We’ve been searching the web for the latest news from around the world of online marketing and social media and have collated some of the most interesting articles below. Make sure you check out the Rundown Report every Friday to keep up-to-date with the online marketing and social media scene.
Email marketing news and articles
- The evolving mobile inbox: competing with smartphone distractions | As you’re probably aware, email opens across mobile devices are on the up. ClickZ have looked at the implications of this and what it means for your email marketing campaigns.
- What are transactional emails and why are they important? | Communicate important information with your users and engage with your subscribers through transactional emails. This guide from Econsultancy explains all.
Social media news and articles
- Nine social media vices to avoid | Keeping up consistent, interesting and engaging social media activity can be a struggle; however, be sure to avoid these techniques!
- Vietnam to fine citizens $5,000 for criticising state on social media | Governments have always been a bit wary of social networks, but is fining people for negative comments the right approach? The Verge investigates.
- Seven Twitter Q&As and the lessons that can be learned | We’ve seen a lot of Twitter Q&As recently. That’s not to say they’re a good idea or have benefitted the companies who have conducted them. Econsultancy looks at the lessons that can be learned from companies that have carried out Twitter Q&As.
- 6 social networks to watch in 2014 | It seems like a fairly saturated marketplace, but more and more social networks are being set up in an attempt to become the next big thing. Social Media Today takes a look at some of the ones to watch!
Marketing news and articles
- Brands “lack confidence” in content creation and must drop TV ad mindset, says YouTube brand propositions chief | Marketing is changing, and we’ve recently seen an increase in the number of brands taking to YouTube content creators for advertising. The Drum reports on why YouTube see this as the future.
- Five Google Analytics dashboards and custom reports for small businesses | As a small business it’s important to track website performance and online statistics. Econsultancy have put together this handy guide on the best reports to use.
- How marketers can overcome content marketing ‘blindness’ | Content marketing is a bit of a buzzword at the moment. This article from Marketing Week should help you understand it and get to grips with it.
- What happens in one second on the Internet? | This will really make you think. See what is happening online, every second of every day, with simply icons and numbers.
Image of the week
In honour of Black Friday, Cards Against Humanity (a party game for horrible people) had a special offer that couldn’t be beaten. Usually $25, it was increased to $30 for one day only. What a bargain.
That’s all for now, folks. Have a great weekend, and make sure you check out next week’s Rundown Report for more news from around the marketing world. Got any ideas of things we should feature next week? Email your suggestions to me at firstname.lastname@example.org!