Welcome to the 18th edition of the Rundown Report. It’s been a busy week in the world of online marketing and social media, so sit back and catch up on what you’ve missed. Enjoy, and have a great weekend!
Email marketing news and articles
- Everything you need to know about Gmail’s auto-unsubscribe | Following the announcement of Gmail’s new unsubscribe link, which we covered in last week’s Rundown Report, Marketing Land have created this handy little article on everything you need to know about the update.
- Eight best practice tips for writing effective email copy | Struggling to write your next email marketing campaign? Check out this great article from Econsultancy on writing effective email content.
- Thirteen tips to improve your email marketing | Articles about ways in which you can improve your email marketing pop up all the time, but this simple and to-the-point article from Email Yogi stood out to me. Some great information for any email marketer.
Social media news and articles
- WhatsApp: a calculated target for Facebook | Many people around the world are still left scratching their heads over Facebook’s $19bn acquisition of WhatsApp. In this article, Econsultancy have taken a more detailed look at why this investment was so important for Facebook.
- 7 tips for managing and maximising content in social media | Successful social media marketing isn’t just about putting out an image or video and expecting it to go viral. Thought and structure needs to be used behind your content, and these tips from ClickZ will help you get started.
- How the secret will help you get ahead on Pinterest | Psst, did you know that Pinterest have updated their service so you can have unlimited secret boards? You’ll be surprised by how something so small can really help your marketing effort. This article from Marketing Pilgrim explain all.
- Things from the ’90s that social media replaced | A lot has changed in the world of technology over the last 20 years, and this article from Social Media Today shows how much our lives have changed in such a short space of time.
Marketing news and articles
- 5 ways to stop your sales-pitch email from getting trashed | Are you finding that your sales emails are simply going unnoticed or being deleted? Let this article from Entrepreneur help you to change your emails and make them less likely to end up in digital landfill.
- The 5 best real-time marketing moments of the Oscars | The Oscars is always a time for heightened social media and marketing activity, and this year was no different. Check out this article from Digiday on some of the best real-time marketing seen during the event.
- 5 essential marketing skills every person should know | Whether you’re an aspiring marketing professional, a subject veteran or someone who has never done an ounce of marketing in their life, the skills outlined in this article by Social Media Today are essential for all.
- Best of Craigslist | The popular US classifieds service, Craigslist, features a selection of very strange, funny and just downright bizarre adverts. Using the Best of Craigslist website you can read through these ads without having trawl through the 1000s of normal (or boring) posts. Updated regularly, this is guaranteed to make you giggle!
Image of the week
This week saw Twitter retweet records broken when Ellen posted this selfie with a number of well-known movie stars such as Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Kevin Spacey, among others, taken during this year’s Oscars. It is believed to have been an advertising stunt from Samsung, something which they deny. The picture has prompted a large number of reenactments, including this one by Homer Simpson.
That’s all for the Rundown Report this week. Have a great weekend, and be sure to check out next week’s Rundown Report for more news from around the marketing world. Got any ideas of things we should feature next week? Email your suggestions to email@example.com!