Welcome to the 16th edition of the Rundown Report. Ollie’s on holiday this week, so I’m stepping in to help you catch up on this week’s online marketing industry goings-on. Have a great weekend everyone!
Email marketing news and articles
- Virgin Mobile – What They Do Right And Wrong (Mostly Wrong) | The Email Critic team are never ones to shy away from being bold and blunt. Recently they’ve looked at how Virgin mobile could improve their email campaigns.
- 6 Ways to Ensure Your Email is Read from Start to Finish | Deliverability’s excellent article focuses on what you need to do to ensure your email is read from start to finish.
- Learning from bad examples – email is personal! | Our very own Matt McNeill took a look at some bad real life examples of impersonal email campaigns this week. Some useful tips, for all email marketers.
Social media news and articles
- Facebook to buy messaging app WhatsApp for $19bn | The news came in late Wednesday (19th) that Facebook have purchased WhatsApp for a staggering £11.4 billion. Read all about this acquisition over on the BBC’s website.
- How Twitter Could Challenge Amazon And eBay In E-Commerce | All rumours at the moment, but one of Read Write’s latest articles discusses how Twitter could move into real-time e-commerce.
- #BRITs2014 | After the buzz of the Brit Awards on Wednesday evening, Twitter have reported that over four million tweets were sent during the show. That’s a record-breaker!
Marketing news and articles
- There Is No More B2B or B2C: There Is Only Human to Human (H2H) | This fab article consolidates our ethos neatly – forget marketing lingo, focus on engaging with people as individuals.
- Can BuzzFeed improve your marketing? | The Marketer discusses how BuzzFeed (amongst others) have changed the way news is produced and consumed, and this article emphasises the importance in the speed in which stories are delivered.
- 20 stunning examples of minimal mobile UI design | Mobile design and responsiveness is a hugely covered subject, but in this article Econsultancy have sourced 20 great designs. Well worth a look.
- Sporcle | Looking for a five-minute break from work? Sporcle is full of trivia, quizzes and brain games. How many of the US states can you name? The perfect prep website before a pub quiz evening.
Image of the week
Following on from the news of Facebook purchasing WhatApp, the BBC have cleverly put together this story using… well, WhatsApp!
That’s all for the Rundown Report this week. Have a great weekend, and be sure to check out next week’s Rundown Report for more news from around the marketing world. Got any ideas of things we should feature next week? Email your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org!